Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Bengali New Year

New year, new dreams and new hopes. Every coming year makes me evaluate the passing one and make plans for the new one.

I would not say 2017 was a great year. It was not bad either. Few good things happened in life but nothing to be proud of. The best thing that happened was that I improved my relations with my mom and the best thing that I did was that J finally joined the gym.

I spent this New Years in the wonderful city - Kolkata. The city and its people are quite unusual than rest of India. They believing in appreciating the family, and enjoy each occasion that can remotely recall for a celebration. They love travelling. But most of all they love their food. I think love would be an understatement though, people here live to eat.

I was visiting family and we decided to walk to Kalighat temple on New Years eve. Across the span of 1km, there were around 20 parties with loud music of all sorts - "Deepacito" to "Chalti hai kya 9 se 12" to "Saat samandar paar". Every 4th house had full size woofers and made sure everybody knew they are celebrating. I have never seen such enthusiasm in any other city. Overjoyed (and slightly deaf by loud music) we decided to go to Park Street (it's the place where all youngsters go). Streets were jam packed with people to see the lighting on the road. Restaurants had hours of waiting list. This was Kolkata during festive season - joyous and excited.

Normal day Kolkata - the metro starts at 7:30am and close by 10pm. Offices close early. People take break for hours during lunch to enjoy their meals, an occasional 'puchka' on stalls outside their offices. In my life I have never seen so many elderly men on puchka and momo stalls.

I love the peace and work life balance that the people in this city have. They are clear on their priorities in life and enjoy life to the fullest.

Love the city. Kolkata! Looking forward to be back soon. :)

You taught me a lot. This 2018, I pledge to prioritize things in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your time and comments.