Sunday, September 4, 2011

Thodi si jo pee li h...

The famous song lines- now a culture of most of the cities.Mostly with the college goings and especially in metro cities. I could never understand the fascination of some of friends about drinking. And I actually realize this now that girls used to be even more fascinated than boys. People consider it as a symbol of their modernized life and few people who are not ready to follow this hard drinked path are considered as obsolete.
During office parties open bar is an utter necessity, people don't feel like they are enjoying until the are drowned in glass full of scotch.And those people who still choose to have a glass of orange juice feel like an outsider as if they have no sense of modernized world or what.
Lounges.. the so called 'Most Happening Places to go represent another hang out place for upper classers. Music so loud that you literally have to shout to talk to the person sitting next to you, lights so dimmed that you have to open your mobile to read out the menu card.
I am not at all against adopting the western culture or anything. Even I consider myself a decently modernized enough girl who would love to dress up, have fun, go out with friends but with certain values and principles that I can't ever compromise on my side. But why am I always made to feel like a gawar or a small town person who will never understand what high class things are and I will never be able to grow up from a small town girl status until I start doing all these things. Its a real shock to them when I say I don't drink and yes I have never even tried to taste the Amritras.

4 comments:

  1. Just realized, how similar we are in this case. I totally hate the drinking and smoking culture which has been prevalent in the teenage world. It starts because of the peer pressure, and i find it really stupid. Don't you have your own identity. Why is it necessary to follow someone's else. The kiddo tag will be stuck with you forever, if you cannot gulp down alcohol. The concept seems stupid, and i do not care what other's think. I guess that's why i could never get along with many people. I believe in some principles, some rules i made for myself as i grew up. I cannot change or deviate from the path, which makes me what i am today.
    Measuring how modern one is, falsely based on the fashion statement, the american accent, and yes talking in English with a person who knows Hindi , acting snobbish, avoiding people who have a simple appearance. Hell No, i rather be called uncivilized, uncouth than losing out the things which build my character. It may be hard to face the upper class incidents , but it will be harder for you to face yourself when you look in the mirror, and you cannot figure out , what you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really .. u just described my emotions in your words and I think even better...

    feels great to have a regular reader like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pleasure is all mine miss. I am too lazy or tired to type my thoughts in a blog of my own, but when i do see some good post on yours, i get the energy to post. Keep the posts flowing, i enjoy reading your thoughts. All the best :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your time and comments.